Spelling Lesson 5
- Write bureau, prairie, and pasture. Now write each word in syllables.
- Write column and awkward. Cross out the silent letters in these words.
- Write the five New Words that refer to aviation and airplanes.
- Write compare and resemble. Make new words by dropping the final e and adding ed to each word.
- Write the New Words that might be used to describe (1) our form of government, and (2) a book such as the bible.
- Write the New Word that begins and ends with ph. What sound has the ph in this word?
- One New Word has only one syllable. Write it.
- Write apology, alcohol, and toboggan. Find each word in the dictionary and notice the sound given each a ando, whether long or short. Write each word in syllables and mark the a's and o's either long or short.
- Write parachute. Say the word softly. What sound is given to the letters ch?
- Find and write the two New Words that end in ic.